Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Scala take one: scala the beast?

Scala is really very nice, but ...

I have read the tutorial and am half way through the overview document (see www.scala-lang.org page). But even before finishing this reading I can say that Scala is one hell of a language with its seamless integration of java api compatibility, objects, classes, functions as first class types, generic types with a rich sub-typing constraint management, etc. But... but having managed developers for many years it looks very easy to end up in a mess with scala! I would argue that Scala is a language where your chief architect needs to be very good and very experienced in leveraging the value of others. It is too easy to kill productivity with your developers getting lost in abstractions that they do not understand.

I'll see what more I can learn and get back to you.

No comments: